Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Intro - The Landing

Most articles you read are written about desi FOBs in the USA. All of you might have laughed at, and secretly related to, incidents like ordering the first sandwich from Subway, mistaking the pepperoni on a pizza for a slice of tomato, listening patiently to a telemarketer on the phone for half an hour - only to subscribe to "Home Improvement and Gardening Techniques" for two years.

Here’s an interesting twist to the saga. How about writing as a non-desi in Apna Desh? Most things we take for granted in India are easily forgotten once you step into the Americas. Here’s my perspective of what a non-desi will find a novelty when he steps into the wonderland that is India.

The first thing I noticed when I got off the plane is that airport services have come a long way since the past 5-6 years. I don’t know what people keep complaining about regarding inordinate delays in customs and immigration. I was out of Chennai Airport within 15-20 minutes of getting off an international flight, inspite of having a laptop, 2 cameras and 3 swords in my possession. In fact, it took me 3 hours to get out of Bangkok Airport because of visa processing delays. Boy, am I glad to be back home again!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Jhaatu ganshu!!
You were in Chennai and didn't let me know. I am also in Chennai.
Cheeks

Swadeshi said...

Hi Cheeku! I was in Chennai for a couple of days, now I am in B'lore. I'll be in Chennai during Dasera time, we shud meet up then. Great to hear from you boss!
-Ganshu

Anonymous said...

Bloo-per, good to hear from you. I've decided to be more patient with your weblogs than I am with your emails (which get incinerated upon delivery).

Anonymous said...

Hey Ganshu..
Great observations.. Hope you're having a good time in Bglore.. Might visit India in December.. will hook up with you then.. waiting for more blogs..

Sree

Anonymous said...

nice to heaer from you bloo... me too back to bangalore in mid-november. will catch up then.

-borax

Swadeshi said...

Hey publix, thanks for all the love. Who is that "anonymous" fan who incinerates all my emails? Shammi or Swapna, is that you? I can't think of too many people that hate me that bad :) With friends like these...
Borax, seeya here when you get back. Bhabhiji se bhi milna hai.
Sree, whatever happened to your "Writer's Guild"? No more stories on Sulekha?

Anonymous said...

Another Asterix fan! Not as common over here. It was a pleasure reading of your arrival in B'lore. Keep in touch - we miss you.
This Anonymous = Kim B