Monday, November 22, 2004

Apples and tapeworms

Routine, it creeps into life like a worm in an apple or a tapeworm in the intestines, completely undetected until you realize it is too late. Let me elaborate. Here’s a description of my daily routine.

I wake up every morning and do the same thing. Get the same milk, light the same stove and boil it. Then I drink the same coffee, do the same morning chores and let the same maid in to clean the same house. Then I get into the same thing and drive to the same place where I get to meet the same people and do the same stuff as asked to. Then I eat the same thing for lunch, and do the same thing in the afternoon as I did in the morning. Come evening time, I get back into the same thing and go back to the same place I came from in the morning. Occasionally, just for kicks, I crash into auto-rickshaw drivers and damage my car bumper a little more. Evenings and weekends represent a "break" from routine, when I meet the same person I met last week or month, instead of yesterday. Then I return home to cook and eat the same stuff and get back into the same bed at the same time every night.

And we say we lead interesting lives. That’s modesty.

1 comment:

A said...

hmmm, naaah - never been there, never done that - same thing twice that is - not been in the same city long enough... but i could try it - just for the novelty!!